Saturday, December 15, 2012

Old Faithful - Yellowstone

Hi There ! At the outset my humble apologies for disappearing from the blogging world for more than 6 weeks. Immediately on my return to India I got caught up in a whirlpool of issues. My house was nearing completion and my civil engineer had gone into hibernation when I was away in Boise.He had to be prodded,pushed and reactivated. Next Coimbatore has been experiencing severe power cuts upto as much as14 hours or more a day which seriously affects the amount of computer/internet time available. Additionally my home internet cable was damaged hence I was unable to connect internet during nights. Then there were business issues which had to be tackled/attended to on priority and which required my undivided and dedicated attention. And of course a bit of laziness and lethargy from my side - I am sure with better time management I could have recommenced blogging a couple of weeks earlier.
For those who have been keenly awaiting my next post and have been checking off and on - thanks for your immense patience and your considerate and wonderful comments. I shall endeavor not to repeat such long inexplicable gaps in my blogging in future.
To continue my wanderings in the US, after Lewis Falls we continued on our way to Yellowstone which we reached by evening. We drove straight to the most famous geyser in Yellowstone - The Old Faithful . I had never been to a hot water spring before and hence this was of special significance. The temperature at Old Faithful was near or below freezing - hovering around 25-30 degree Fahrenheit. ( 32 degree F is the freezing temperature of water !) I have never experienced sub zero temperature before, hence this was another first for me. We had brought with us necessary protective clothing like woolen overcoats,woolen socks,thermal underwear,woolen/leather gloves,ear muffs,scarves,balaclavas etc. In spite of being so well equipped my hands were becoming numb & frozen and I had difficulty in handling the camera. The views at Old Faithful were scintillating, extraordinary,incredible,amazing & awesome.
About Old Faithful:  Old Faithful is a cone geyser located in Wyoming in Yellowstone National Park. Old Faithful was named in 1870 during the Washburn-Langford-Doane Expedition and was the first geyser in the park to receive a name. It is also called the most predictable geographical feature on Earth erupting almost every 91 Minutes. Eruptions can shoot 3,700 to 8,400 US gallons (14,000 to 32,000 L) of boiling water to a height of 106 to 185 feet (32 to 56 m) lasting from 1.5 to 5 minutes. The average height of an eruption is 145 feet (44 m). The highest recorded eruption was 185 feet (56 m). Intervals between eruptions can range from 45 to 125 minutes, averaging 66.5 minutes in 1939, slowly increasing to an average of 90 minutes apart today.
There was a nice gathering of visitors around 100 or so waiting for the next eruption.  Then the eruption happened - slowly to begin with and in a matter of seconds the intensity picked up and the geyser gushed up into the air with great pressure and turbulence. This is one of the most spectacular sights I have ever witnessed. I am presently below a series of pics clicked there.
We enter Old Faithful Geyser Area
Old Faithful dormant before the next eruption begins - above & below
Eruption about to begin - Old Faithful erupts every 91 minutes
Eruption picks up steam
The pressure starts building up
Eruption gains momentum - above & below
Eruption at its peak at high pressure - above & below
Eruption starts diminishing
Daughter and wife posing in front of Old Faithful Inn - Below is you tube of the Old Faithful in action: Can you spot a rainbow in the eruption?
 

39 comments:

  1. A stupendous thunderous welcome! Certainly a much -awaited performance. Have to seriously think of visiting the States:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keats. Yellowstone is definitely worth visiting.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back!! It must have been an amazing feeling to be there and watch those hot water springs!! I have seen some in the Himalayas and I was thrilled too on seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back!! It must have been an amazing feeling to be there and watch those hot water springs!! I have seen some in the Himalayas and I was thrilled too on seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...great images. Good to know you're back. hope to see more images from your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashok. Yes I am posting the balance images during the next few weeks.

      Delete
  5. Welcome back, hope the renovation part is over now and 14 hours of power cut, that's horrible. Lovely pictures of a beautiful place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back, Ram! You and your blog were missed. I wondered what happened to you and am glad you were not ill. Nice pics of the geyser. I have never been to the area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have wondered about you and hoped all was well. sorry about the construction delay and the power troubles upon returning home!

    i got to see old faithful many years ago. it is neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes now there is a now semblance of stability in power and general peace all around :)

      Delete
  8. Great images..Made more interesting by the little video clip..Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sridharan Sir ! There is a video mode in my camera which I seldom use. I tried this time and the result seems to be okay.

      Delete
  9. Old Faithful is amazing! I've seen the geyser erupt many times, but it's always exciting.
    Must be difficult getting back into the home routine after such a long trip. Hope things are settling down now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to see you back in blog world. Wonderful shots of place and interesting information.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great! Old-faithful is one of the very faithful geyser! Beautiful series of pics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to see you return after a long break from blogging with amazing pictures of the Old Faithful and the video including nice family pic, Rama:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rahulji. Now things have stabilized and back to near normal.

      Delete
  13. Brilliant captures. Nice to see you back.

    www.rajniranjandas.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ram! You've given us a spectacular new post.Thanks for showing the video - the sound must have been awesome!

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  15. I reminisce my journey in you pictures and the landscape.Let me try to fetch the pictures and look at them once again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful shots. To answer your question about mine, yes it was a real live wren that landed on the wreath and posed for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so glad to see you back. I had had some health issues for a while and when I saw your comment on my post today I was delighted. Nature is amazing and you definitely know how to capture it. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have got over your health problems and you are fine now. Glad you liked the pics !

      Delete
  18. First of all, welcome back, Mr. Ram.

    Yellowstone -- this is what I most looking forward too. I'm sure it was an amazing experience. The pictures sure look amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your sentiment. Yellowstone is a must place to see. So pack your bags at the earliest and fly/drive off to this amazing place !

      Delete
  19. Yellowstone remind me of Ansel Adams. These are excellent photographs. Well Done Sir

    ReplyDelete

RAMAL RAMANATHAN'S 95th BIRTHDAY

Wedding Studio Photo Appa's 90th Birthday Ayushhomam at Coimbatore: 2006 Wedding Photo Photos clicked on Birthday at Coimbatore Special ...